Beef and Beetroot Burger with Buttermilk Slaw serves six
25-30 mins to prepare and 6-8 mins to cook, plus 1 hr chilling time / 558 calories per serving
Give your burgers a makeover with the addition of earthy beetroot and spicy horseradish. Served in toasted rolls and topped with a crunchy buttermilk slaw, these beef and beet burgers are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
For the burgers
- 170g (6oz) raw beetroot, grated
- 750g (1 1/2lb) Tesco NI steak mince
- 30g (1oz) TS Foods breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1 medium Skea egg, beaten
- olive oil, for brushing
- 4 Ormo rolls, halved and toasted
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve (optional)
- 4 Dromona mature cheddar slices (optional)
For the slaw
- 50g (2oz) light mayonnaise
- 175ml (6fl oz) Dale Farm buttermilk
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 600g (1lb 3oz) white cabbage, sliced
- 2 Tesco NI medium carrots, grated
- 3 Tesco NI spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 x 31g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the slaw, combine the mayo, buttermilk, cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, mustard powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Add the cabbage, carrots, spring onions and parsley, and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Combine the beetroot, mince, breadcrumbs, horseradish and egg in a bowl. Mix well. Chill for 15 minutes.
Divide the beef mixture into 6 and shape into patties. Brush with oil and barbecue for 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Serve in the toasted rolls topped with the avocado, slaw and sweet chilli sauce, if you like.