Winter Vegetable and Barley broth recipe serves six
- 1 Tesco Northern Irish leek, thinly sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 2 Tesco Northern Irish carrots, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium Tesco Northern Irish parsnip, peeled/diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium Wilson’s Country potato, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks of thyme
- 100g pearl barley
- 1½tbsp tomato puree
- 1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 40g (1½ oz) Ballyrashane butter
- 2tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
Turn the slow cooker on to high or low. Put all of the vegetables, bay leaves, thyme and pearl barley into the slow cooker dish. Mix the tomato purée into the hot stock and pour over the vegetables. Mix well and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalk then stir in the butter and chopped parsley. Add seasoning to taste and serve hot.