Salted Caramel Apples with Spiced Winter Fruit and Nuts serves four
20 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook / 350 calories per serving
- 4 apples, core removed
- 40g (1½oz) Golden Cow unsalted butter
- 40g (1½oz) brown Demerara sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 25g (1oz) dried sour cherries
- 25g (1oz) soft prunes, chopped
- 25g (1oz) Buchanan raisins
- 25g (1oz) Buchanan’s mixed peel
- 25g (1oz) Buchanan dried apricots chopped
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 120ml (4fl oz) finest* salted caramel cream liqueur
- 25g (1oz) pecan nuts, toasted and chopped
Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Place the cored apples into a medium sized roasting tin. Heat the butter, sugar and salt together in a small saucepan. Do not stir the caramel but gently swirl the pan until all the grains of sugar have dissolved. Pour the caramel into the centre of each apple and bake for 30 minutes, until the apples have softened.
Meanwhile gently heat the liqueur, dried fruits and mixed spice in a saucepan for 2-3 minutes until the fruit is starting to plump up. Set aside and allow to infuse. Reheat for a further few minutes just before the end of the apple cooking time.
Once the apples have finished cooking and are golden brown stuff the infused fruit and liqueur mixture into the cores and sprinkle with the toasted pecan nuts. Serve with Morelli’s Vanilla Ice Cream.