The Thompson’s Tea Loaf serves four
15 mins to prepare, 60mins to cook, 10mins to cool / 231 calories per serving
- 375g dried fruit (I use a mixture of raisins, sultanas, figs, apricots and cranberries)
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 150ml hot Punjana tea
- 50g chopped mixed nuts
- 1 large egg
- 225g self-raising flour
- 25ml buttermilk
- Add the sugar to the hot Thompson’s tea and allow to dissolve.
- Place fruit in a bowl and add the tea. Cover and leave overnight to soak.
(Chop larger fruit like figs and apricots if using them)
- Line a cake tin with parchment paper and set oven to 170°C.
- Whisk the egg and mix into the fruit mixture. Sift in the flour and mix well. Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for about an hour, in the middle of the oven, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes then turn into a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve with butter.